If you live in India, one thing you must know for any art you need Camel colors by Kokuyo Camlin ( the only Art supplier of India). Although there have been a lot of initiative with PM Modi for “Make in India” campaign, arts & craft is still an area being ignored. But still we have something, which is always better than nothing.
So, what do you need to get started:
- Palette (for mixing colors)
- Watercolor Paper/Canvas
- Paper napkins
Now to buy all this you can obliviously go to you nearest stationary shop, but I being from the digital era like to order things online and avail discounts. So I bought the following from Flipkart :
- Asint 5 painting knife steel Set
- Toygully Painting Cotton Mediun Grain Canvas Board (Set of 4) (White)
- Kabeer Art Kabeer Art 1 Plastic 33 Paint Wells Palettes with Lid (Set of 1, White)
- Camlin Professional Artist Art Set
- Camlin Series 66 Round Paint Brush
- Camlin Series 67 Flat Paint Brush
- A 140gsm drawing book from my local store
Now as you see I have bought things for other medium too because I want to progress into Acrylic and Oil paintings. So I ordered the most generalist thing that would have me covered in all the mediums. All this was like a Rakhi present to myself, so I went a bit further.
If you only want to work with watercolors, here is things you definitely need to buy:
- Daler-Rowney Aquafine Water Color Paper: A 300 gsm paper is ideal.
- Daler-Rowney Bright, Filbert, Round, Flat Paint Brush: This pack has all the essentials rather than different sizes of the same type of brush.
- Camlin Water Water Color Medium (9 ml): Never buy student grade in Camlin, they are for rudamentary school work not for painters.
This should cover you over all. As for my buys I will write reviews for all the products in a separate blog. Keep reading.